Help!- I’m Still Craving My Cigarettes!
For the first week or two after making the switch to vaping, you might find that you still have cravings for cigarettes- even if you are using a high nicotine strength e-liquid- and let’s face it, going from smoking a pack a day to smoking no cigarettes at all isn’t easy. That’s why “dual use” (both vaping and smoking) is common with new vapers, so don’t beat yourself up over it if you give in to the cravings and find yourself lighting up- it isn’t a total disaster and it certainly doesn’t make you a failure. Just remember- each cigarette you don’t smoke is getting you closer to your aim of becoming healthier by kicking the habit altogether. So go ahead and have a smoke if you need one, but when you’re just sitting about watching TV, on the computer, during breaks at work or in the car, try to stick to just vaping; you will find that it gradually becomes a new habit that’s a lot more enjoyable than smoking.
I’m Enjoying Vaping- But I Still Need To Smoke The Odd Cigarette.
Maybe you are using the wrong nicotine strength? Nicotine is a vital aspect of vaping, but choosing the right level isn’t always straightforward, because everyone is different- what is right for one person may not satisfy another.
Choosing the right nicotine strength for you is about balancing two things:
- Too little nicotine won’t satisfy your cravings, so you may be tempted to smoke.
- Too much nicotine and vaping will feel too harsh on your throat, again making you more likely to smoke.
For most pack-a-day smokers, 18 mg e-liquids strike the perfect balance, but it may not be right for you, so the best advice is to experiment. When you are starting vaping, buy a few e-liquids in different nicotine strengths and try them out. You might find that 12 mg is good for you during the day, but perhaps you need some stronger 18 mg e-liquid to use at other times when your willpower is low?- maybe if you’re going out for a drink in the evening and find it hard to be around smokers.
Vaping is not like smoking- the first hit of nicotine you get from smoking a cigarette happens fairly quickly and we know that the first nicotine hit happens more slowly when you vape an electronic cigarette. This means that you might need to learn to vape in a different way from smoking; when you vape, you need to take longer, slower puffs from your e-cig to get the most out of it- slower puffs will give you more nicotine. Smokers tend to take short, hard drags on their cigarettes to get more smoke, but vaping that way is not very effective for getting nicotine into your system. If you find yourself unsatisfied when you try vaping, try changing your puffing style- take deeper, slower puffs and let the vapour linger around your mouth and throat before inhaling. Then when you exhale, try letting some of the vapour out through your nose and see if it makes a difference. The habit of puffing harder to get more nicotine just doesn’t work when you vape.
Help! I Am Coughing More Since Starting to Vape!
Your lungs might feel like they’re rebelling against you! Most new vapers report that they cough a lot after starting vaping- don’t worry, this is quite normal and your cough should get better and stop altogether after a few weeks of vaping. So why is it that you seem to cough more than you ever did when you were smoking? Well, there are a few reasons for this:
- At first, anything new will irritate your lungs and will make you cough- you probably also coughed a lot the first time you smoked a tobacco cigarette? It is because vapour is slightly different from normal tobacco smoke and your throat is not used to it. Most people seem to get used to it after a day or two and are fine with it. It is important that you give it a chance.
- Smoking does a lot of damage to your lungs- they have basically been taking a tar bath for years. The moment you quit smoking and start vaping, your lungs will begin a process of getting all of the gunk out and this means coughing- a lot. This process will subside after a while, so stick with it. Drink more water- increasing your water intake will help you to eliminate toxins and speed up the process- it will also prevent dehydration (see below).
- Many people will tell you that it is the propylene glycol contained in your e-liquid that causes coughing. Most e-liquids are made up of PG (propylene glycol) and VG (vegetable glycerine)- part of the reason PG is there is to help give the throat hit you experience when vaping, but it can put some smokers off. It’s not quite the same as from smoking, and some smokers find it irritating rather than pleasant. Throat hit is all about the balance between propylene glycol (PG) and vegetable glycerine (VG) in your e-liquid. VG is smoother, and many people find they need to use an e-liquid with a higher VG ratio to avoid coughing.
- If your coughing is still bad 2-3 months after making the switch from smoking to vaping, it might be a good idea to visit your GP just to make sure that you don’t have any underlying medical problems.
Help!- I’m Suffering From Dehydration/ Sore Throat/ Dry Throat/ Dry Nose
These symptoms are likely to be caused by the e-liquid ingredient propylene glycol, but they can also be caused by nicotine. PG and VG are both hygroscopic substances, which means that they draw in moisture from their environments- and this includes your mouth and throat when you vape. PG also contributes to “throat hit,” but if you’re sensitive to PG, this can make vaping unpleasant by giving you a dry throat. VG is smoother, and many people find they need to use an e-liquid with a higher VG ratio to avoid a dry throat and dehydration. These symptoms can also be caused by nicotine. Nicotine is the main ingredient that determines your throat hit, so if your nicotine level is too high, this could mean that vaping gives you a dry throat. The sensible advice for anyone experiencing dehydration or dry throat is to drink plenty of water- keep a bottle handy, keep sipping from it during the day and also have it next to you when you go to bed at night.
I Keep Getting A Headache And Sometimes I Feel Sick When I Vape.
Headaches and nausea can occur if your body has been taking in too much nicotine- if this happens to you, the best thing to do is to just stop vaping for a little while until the feeling goes away. It might be because you have chosen an e-liquid that is too high in nicotine or it could simply be that you are vaping too much. Often the most likely cause of headaches is dehydration, so again the best advice is to drink plenty of water to combat this.
My Food Tastes Different- It’s A Lot Nicer!
Smoking tobacco cigarettes dramatically reduces your sense of smell. When you switch to electronic cigarettes, you’ll find your sense of smell returning. A whole new world of aromas opens up, with pleasurable scents that you may have long forgotten. The bitter, acrid smoke from tobacco limits your sense of taste, too. Your favourite foods may taste completely different and become even more delicious than you previously thought. Prepare to enjoy a new world of sensory delights when you switch to electronic cigarettes.