What are Nicotine Salts?
Without going into a long and boring chemistry lesson, here is a quick explanation of what nicotine salts are.
The nicotine we use in normal e-liquid (we call it freebase nicotine) is actually extracted from the natural salts found in tobacco leaves, in a process that was invented by the Philip Morris tobacco company back in the 1960s. The nicotine is stripped away from the salts’ molecules and is processed using ammonia to create the freebase nicotine found in most e-liquid and cigarettes. This pharmaceutical grade nicotine is usually 99.9% pure. That freebase nicotine is then mixed with a carrier liquid such as PG and/or VG for use in your e-cig.
Nicotine salts are actually those natural salts which are found in tobacco plants before they are processed into our usual freebase nicotine. Originally it was thought that nicotine salts would not work very well in e-liquid, but PAX Labs did their own research. They found that they could create an e-liquid where nicotine is absorbed much faster into the bloodstream by using certain types of nicotine salts instead of freebase nicotine. Their tests found that this gave a quicker nicotine hit with a much smoother draw. This is because nicotine salts have a lower pH level than freebase nicotine. In the extraction process, the pH level of nicotine salts is reduced by using benzoic acid. This allows the user to vape a higher concentration of nicotine in their e-liquid. Users did not experience any of the unpleasant and harsh throat hit that normal high strength e-liquid would have given them. They also found that nicotine salts e-liquids were still very effective when vaping at a lower temperature on low-powered devices.
What are the advantages of Nicotine Salts?
- They deliver a stronger nicotine hit than conventional e-liquids. Because the nicotine is absorbed by the body faster, nicotine salts should be a more effective alternative to smoking. This makes them ideal for people who don’t get the hit they need from vaping normal e-liquid.
- Nicotine salts deliver more nicotine with less vaping, so are good for people who want to reduce the amount they vape, as the nicotine hit is more satisfying.
- Nicotine salts are smoother on the throat than normal e-liquid. If you find that vaping your regular e-liquid is too harsh, or you are not too fussy about getting a throat hit, nicotine salts could be the answer.
Are Nicotine Salts safe?
There’s no reason at the moment to think that nicotine salts might be riskier than regular vaping. There’s now been a huge amount of research into vaping, which Public Health England has decided is at least 95% safer than smoking. At the moment, there is very little research available on nicotine salts, but scientists might eventually conclude that nicotine salts are safer to use. This is because they allow you to use a higher strength of nicotine and so you get satisfaction faster, with less vapour inhalation and liquid consumption.
In the expert opinion of Dr. Constantinos Farsalinos, it is always safest to reduce the amount of e-liquid you vape: “The more you consume, the more exposure to any potentially toxic chemical. If you double your consumption, you are doubling your exposure to toxins.” Let’s face it, nothing we inhale can ever be 100% safe. By reducing their e-liquid consumption, nicotine salts e-liquids might well become a safer option for vapers.
So why doesn’t everybody use Nicotine Salts?
- You might get too much nicotine. You may find that nicotine salts provide too much of a nicotine hit for you. Remember- nicotine salts are designed for low powered devices and are NOT intended for sub-ohming!
- If you vape a lot, you enjoy it and are quite happy to continue, you are better off continuing to use a regular e-liquid. Because nicotine salts deliver more of a nicotine hit, you won’t want to vape as much.
- A weak throat hit is what nicotine salts were designed for. Some people enjoy the throat hit, so the smoothness of nicotine salts might not satisfy you.
Where can I buy Nicotine Salts?
From Vapable.com, of course! We have 20mg nicotine salts available in 10ml bottles compatible with low powered devices available here.