Is Vaping Safe?
It’s a fair question if you are considering switching from traditional smoking to a vape device. Below we have included as much information as we can to help alleviate any concerns.
When they decided on their figure of 95% less harmful than smoking, we can be fairly confident that PHE allowed themselves a wide margin for error and yet their best estimate is a whopping 95%.
PHE would not have published this report unless they were very, very confident of this fact. Martin Dockrell, Tobacco Control Programme Lead at PHE, said: “We know that e-cigarettes are probably not completely safe, but that’s not the issue. The question is, are e-cigarettes safer than the alternative? And, for almost all e-cigarette users the alternative is smoking and it’s really important that they understand how much safer e-cigarettes are, compared to smoking”. Each year smoking causes around 46,000 deaths from cancer and 28,000 from respiratory disease in the UK, plus an estimated 20,000 deaths from cardiovascular disease. “People might be surprised at how much easier it is to quit with an electronic cigarette,” said Dockrell. “Any smoker with a heart condition has almost certainly tried to quit in the past, and failed. Try again with an electronic cigarette because you might find that’s a lot easier.” The Royal College of Physicians has reviewed the available evidence and advises GPs to promote e-cigarettes “as widely as possible as a substitute for smoking”.
Key Facts To Remember
- There are more than 4,000 poisons in tobacco smoke.
- There are more than 50 cancer-causing compounds in cigarette smoke.
- Over half of UK smokers attempt to quit annually.
- There are now vape shops opening up inside of hospitals.
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (patches, gums, mouth-sprays) fails for 85% of users.
- Champix (varenicline), a quit smoking drug, has been linked to hallucinations, aggression and suicide (particularly when used with alcohol).
Public Health England Review 2018
The key findings of the review:
- The current best estimate is that e-cigarettes are around 95% less harmful than smoking.
- There is no evidence so far that e-cigarettes are acting as a route into smoking for children or non-smokers.
- Less than 1% of never smokers have taken up vaping
- 6% of the adult population are now vapers.